Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Money and Finance #58: Banking, Budgeting, and Spending

Money and Finance #58: Banking, Budgeting, and Spending


I belong to a credit union that offers online banking. I like the fact
that I no longer receive statements in the mail, the convenience of access to my
account at any time, access to information in my "history", and the option of bill
payment online. I don't like the risk of someone being able to access my
information online but that is also a possibility with traditional transactions. My
credit union helps to secure my account by requiring 3 security codes and also
provides a pop-up indicating any unsuccessful (and then successful) attempts to
access my account. Also they will notify members of any breaches that may occur
concerning our accounts-most recently one involving Visa debit cards the end of last
year-thankfully mine was not involved. I only use my personal laptop to manage my
account and keep my security codes in a safe place.
The budgeting tools looked interesting but I prefer the my method of a
budget log-I've tweeked it over the years and find it easy to maintain and also very
portable. I use it to record monthly bill payments along with my check register to
monitor other expenses. I like the freedom of being able to use it anywhere and it
helps me keep track of when and where my money is going.
I found the advise in the Consumer Report article helpful. I'm planning
on speaking to my current cable company about a package deal to include an internet
connection. I'm also considering shopping around for a better deal on my
prescriptions. Actually, many of the expenses I've assumed to be pretty much set
might be more flexible-just need to do some homework on the choices. I think I may
be able to cut some current costs without out too much sacrifice.

No comments: